Phil heads Sladen Legal’s superannuation team.He is a member (and past member) of multiple superannuation related committees, and is a regular author and presenter. Phil regularly liaises with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and Treasury in relation the implementation and administration of the superannuation laws.
Phil’s clients include private business owners, accountants, financial planners, self managed superannuation fund (SMSF) trustees and high and medium net worth individuals. He has acted for industry and retail superannuation funds.
Phil prides himself in providing solutions and structuring for clients in a holistic manner taking into account each client’s situation and structure. He has, on numerous occasions, successfully objected against, and negotiated with, with the ATO in superannuation related matters and the Victorian State Revenue Office (SRO) in relation to state taxes matters (duty and land tax in particular).
Phil's articles have featured in The Tax Institute’s Taxation in Australia Journal and CCH’s Super News. He has also presented at seminars and conferences conducted by The Tax Institute, the Television Education Network and various accounting bodies.
Phil’s areas of practice include:
- Duties and State Taxes
- Estate Planning and Succession
- Trust advice
- Business structuring and restructuring
- Member of the ATO’s Superannuation Industry Relationship Network (SIRN)
- Member of the ATO’s Superannuation Industry Stewardship Group (SISG)
- Chair of the Self-managed Independent Superannuation Funds Association (SISFA) technical committee
- Co-chair of The Tax Institute Superannuation Committee
- Member of The Tax Institute National Superannuation Conference Committee
- Former member of the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia (ASFA) SMSF Standing Advisory Panel
- Former member of the ASFA Risk, Legal and Compliance Standing Advisory Panel
- Chartered Tax Adviser - The Tax Institute
Download a PDF version of Phil Broderick's Professional Profile